Location: Gibson Memorial Library in Creston, Iowa 50801
Position Type: Full-Time
Travel Required: Yes – off-site programming/events, networking and community events and trainings
Salary: $10 - $11 per hour
Benefits: Insurance and I-PERS offered through the City of Creston.
Date Posted: Thursday, July 1, 2021
Posting Expires: Friday, July 23, 2021 at 6 PM
This is a full-time position of 40 hours per week with night and weekend availability. Under the direction of the Library Director, the Programming Specialist develops, plans, coordinates, executes, and evaluates programs.
The Programming Specialist also leads large-scale programs and events involving multiple staff members, departments, community members and volunteers. The ideal candidate will use marketing techniques and social media to create event materials, flyers and signage and other promotional materials as needed.
This position requires understanding of library operations, policies and may be required to perform off-site programming and outreach and will be required to know library assistant tasks and library services.
Essential Job Functions
- Ability to work in a pleasant and effective manner with co-workers, customers, other agencies, community members and departments.
- Supports Intellectual Freedom – the right of every individual to both seek and receive information from all points of view without restriction.
- Performs off-site work in conjunction with community partners, schools, and other organizations to promote the library and its services.
- Plans, organizes, and publicizes programs and services, including, but not limited to book discussions, genealogy, computer classes, author visits, festivals, and library services.
- Attends professional conferences, seminars, and network committees; reads professional literature regarding library services and programs and participates and attends monthly staff meeting
- Makes presentations to community groups to explain library programs and services.
- Assumes responsibility for library operations including covering the circulation desk, telephoning reserves, handling special projects, use of the copy machines, or assisting with technology and programming for all ages and collecting audio visual equipment for guest speakers and author visits
- Compiles reports, and evaluation matrices, regarding programming for the monthly library board meeting, the State Library annual survey and for reporting to city council/townships.
Essential Physical Abilities
- Frequently required to walk, sit, talk and hear
- Frequently required to use hands to handle, feel or operate objects, tools, or controls and to reach with hands and arms
- Hand-eye coordination is necessary to operate computers and various office equipment
- Occasionally required to climb a step stool or ladder; Occasionally required to balance, stoop, kneel or crawl
- Occasionally lift and/or move objects of 40 pounds or more.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Ability to work in a pleasant and effective manner with customers, co-workers, other agencies, and departments
- Organizational and programming planning skills; delivering excellent customer service
- Talent for inspiring others; technology skills; displaying creativity, being energetic and enthusiastic
- Small, medium, and large-scale event planning; building partnerships with community organizations and groups
- Ability to work with minimum level of supervision and regularly take personal initiative to execute work responsibilities; use independent judgement to make decisions
- Must be able to work nights and weekends and be flexible to switch shifts when necessary and be able to work the Summer Reading Program (June & July) and during other peak times for the library
Education and Experience
- Excellent customer service skills with all ages
- Associates/two-year degree required
- Bachelor’s degree in marketing, public relations, library/information science or related field preferred
- Experience in a public library setting is desired
- Preferred bilingual Spanish/English spoken and written language skills
Please complete a City of Creston Application and send application, resume, cover letter and materials to:
Aric Bishop, Library Director
- Email: email@example.com
- Fax: (641)-782-4604
- Address: 200 W. Howard Street Creston, Iowa 50801
Applications and materials must be received by 6:00 pm, Friday, July 23, 2021. Review of submitted applications will begin Monday, July 26, 2021.
View the complete job description for the Programming Specailist.
There are currently no other openings at this time.